Pages

Wednesday 9 February 2022

Reporter's Diary: From Osogbo to Ibadan, my public transport experience

 Reporter's Diary: From Osogbo to Ibadan, my public transport experience

Entering public transportation in Nigeria could be very frustrating and disappointing especially when you have an urgent assignment to do or a deadline to meet.

In this piece, Oyetunde Oni recounts his experience in a commercial bus and the challenges commuters face when using the public transport system in Nigeria.


At 6:05am, I was already set. I moved out trying to catch a bus to Ibadan. The weather was cozy as the harmattan pervaded my neighbourhood. As I navigate through the thick darkness, I dipped my hands into my pocket and reached for my phone. With a click, I put the torch on and walked swiftly across the street looking for public transport to convey me to Ibadan.

After waiting for about 20minutes, an eighteen-sitter commercial bus appeared. I peeped into the bus trying to do a quick scan of the passengers to be sure that am not entering a one-chance bus. While I was still peeping into the bus, the conductor interrupted with his deep voice, "egbon e wole sinu oko. Ko si ewu rara, Ibadan straight" (Enter into the car. There is no problem at all. We are going to Ibadan.)

 As I moved in reluctantly, I saw two passengers. One sitting beside the driver and another elderly man occupied the third row-the young man beside the driver was obviously drunk. This was evident from his incoherent speech and the unending communion he was having repeatedly with the conductor. He kept muttering silently and after some minutes slept off.

I was preoccupied with the thought of how to get to the church for the Sunday service. It had become imperative for me to appear for the service and thereafter proceed to another place for a meeting.

While I was thinking and hoping that the journey will be fast devoid of any hindrance, little did I know that I am in for a serious delay.

Suddenly, the bus stopped working.

"Kilonse oko yi laaro yi,"(meaning- what is happening to this bus this morning) the driver asked repeatedly waiting for the passengers to speak.

One of the passengers replied, "kilode to muna lo? E ye wo. (Why did it stop working? Check it)

I was beginning to sense disappointment. The driver told those occupying the front sit and those of us behind him to get down and in a few minutes, he fixed whatever was the problem.

The driver continued to scout for passengers and within a few minutes, the vehicle was full and we were on our way to Ibadan.

The journey continued and within a short time, we got to Ode-Omu and from there to Gbongan enjoying the early ride.

Trouble however started on getting to Ikire junction. Some passengers who wanted to buy the popular "dodo-Ikire" asked the driver to stop so that they can buy the "dodo". The driver pulled over and after the passengers had gotten what they wanted, the vehicle stopped working again.

I was peeved and at the same time anxious about leaving that spot. We moved out of the vehicle again as the driver tried to fix it again. While trying to join some wires together, he looked at some passengers seeing the angry look on them said, "e ma binu, oko yi lo n se radarada,"

An angry passenger replied to him, "didn't you know before that the car isn't in good condition?", the man said angrily.

Since the driver couldn't fix the bus the second time, he got another bus for us and we moved in and continued the journey till we arrived Ibadan.

No comments:

Post a Comment